Dr Luis Fondebrider
Dr Luis Fondebrider is a forensic anthropologist, from Argentine, 58 years old, who in 1984 co funded the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team (EAAF), an organization that had worked in 56 countries documenting and investigating cases of human rights violations using different forensic disciplines.
After 37 years of work at EAAF, and being his President for 20 years, he moved to Geneva, where he was hired by ICRC as Head of the Forensic Unit, where he remained until September 2022, to become an independent forensic expert.
Throughout his career, Dr Fondebrider worked had as expert witness and/or forensic adviser, in the following countries: Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay, Colombia, Venezuela, Guatemala, El Salvador, Haiti, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Romania, Ukraine, Iraq, Lebanon, the Philippines, Indonesia, Cyprus, Georgia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Central African Republic, Ethiopia, Morocco, Libya, Vietnam, Thailand, Solomon Is., Sri Lanka, Sudan, Kenya, Nigeria and Namibia.
Dr Fondebrider had worked as forensic expert for the following bodies:
- Truth Commissions of Argentina, Brazil, El Salvador, Haiti, Uruguay, Peru, South Africa, and Solomon Islands.
- International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
- International Criminal Court.
- Committee of Missing Persons of Cyprus.
- OAS Forensic Team case of 11 MP from Colombia.
- International Commission of Experts on the investigation of cause of death of President Salvador Allende, Chile.
- UN Secretary General Investigation Team for Democratic Republic of Congo.
- UN Commission of Inquiry on Darfur, Sudan.
- Presidential Commission for searching and identification of Che Guevara remains.
- Presidential Panel of Forensic Experts for Chile.
- Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, Australia, case Ned Kelly.
- Special Prosecutor Office of the Transitional Government of Ethiopia.
- National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa.
- Prosecutors Office of Colombia.
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) for the project “The Missing”; consultant for Colombia, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Georgia, Cyprus, Libya, Ukraine.
- Medico Legal Institute of Colombia.
- Medico Legal Institute of Vietnam.
- Federación Latinoamericana de Asociaciones de Familiares de Detenidos-Desaparecidos (FEDEFAM).
- Asian Federation Against Involuntary Disappearances (AFAD).
- Amnesty International.
- Human Rights Watch.
- International Center for Transitional Justice (ICTJ)
Dr Fondebrider it was part of the Forensic International Team leading the Manual on Genetics and Human Rights, under the Government of Argentina and the ICRC.
Dr Fondebrider it was member of the UN Forensic Working Group that reviewed the United Nations Manual on the Effective Prevention and Investigation of Extra-Legal, Arbitrary and Summary Executions (Minnesota Protocol).
Dr Fondebrider is member of the Advisory Board of the Human Rights Centre of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS).
Dr Fondebrider is member of the International Forensic Advisory Board of the ICRC